Sunday, November 8, 2015

Current Projects

The past week I have been working on Christmas gifts so……. I can't show them! They are not quite finished but hopefully by tomorrow.
Thinking about some ways to help entertain the 10 year old Boston twins over the Christmas and New Year break I decided to introduce them to Locker Hook. I just recently discovered this technique similar to the old style rug hooking but faster and I think it will be a nice activity for sitting by the fire on cold, snowy days and something to distract them from the electronics for a while!
 It's made with one inch strips of fabric a great way for me to use up fabric that has no other purpose at the moment and has been appropriately aged! This one is for the boy, he has a patriotic quilt that I made him and it will be a nice accent for his room. The fabrics are prepped and now the kits are ready for use.
This design for the young lady whose quilt is pinks and purples and I have one with flying geese that I plan to also kit up for myself to work on alongside them.
 The basic kit comes with the charted design,  canvas, locker hook and cotton twine and I found them on Amazon Prime for $6-9, a pretty good deal. Since I have a considerable fabric stash I am happy to be able to slash a few yards from it for this project. It's a very simple technique, the biggest challenge will be to follow the charted design but they are both bright kids who will not have a problem with it and I think it will be an enjoyable activity for those days in MA. when it is just too frigid to be outdoors.
Thinking along those lines I found this cute kit on fabriccafe.com, quite reasonable and perfect for a baby quilt, always good to have one or two of those on hand and it's a nice item to take to Boston for free time sewing. We will also be nearing the end of the Bonnie Hunter 2015 Mystery "Allietare", so I won't lack quilting projects.
Other than that I have been busy around the house and happy to cross some more items off the list!
 
One of which was to paint the cabinet and walls in the powder room, and that was done Friday, same colors as the family bathroom upstairs, it just brightens and freshens it up, makes it look a bit more modern and makes me smile! 
That's a good thing, right?

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I seriously need to discipline myself to GET MY BATHROOM PAINTED!! It needs to be the pretty blue I want instead of the tired old and dinged-up olive-y tone it is. I've never seen locker-hook before. It looks almost like a combination of crochet and hooked rug work.