Saturday, October 6, 2012

Binding

To bind the Ugly Quilt Fabric project, I needed to cut the binding on the bias in order to get the desired effect. Usually the square root method [click here for directions] works OK but the first time I used it I ended up with about 14yds. of bias binding, double the requisite amount. Rather cautiously then the next time I managed to come up about 18" short, although that particular quilt, the Stash NYB had two rounded corners that may have complicated my calculations! This time once again I have twice what I needed! What is it about me and my square root calculations? I know I got the square root correct each time but somehow I did not translate this accurately into the fabric requirement.
So I now have about 5.5yds. of nicely prepared black and red striped bias binding left for whenever there's a quilt needing just those colors and exactly this amount! My Mum was fond of quoting Robert Burns, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley" she used to say. 
It happens!
It is difficult to see the narrow binding from a distance so here's a close-up.......
and on the much lighter opposite side, the binding shows more.
Another quilt on the "completed" list. 
I have no use for this wall hanging so it will likely be donated for a charity auction.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Good job, but I don't understand why that is an ugly quilt. I think it looks great.

LynCC said...

Hey, much better to have too much than not enough. :)