Wednesday, January 6, 2010

VTT, Carved Wooden Box

OK it's VTT again and I am for some reason a tad brain dead this week, so I am just showing a small carved wooden box from my childhood -which was a looooong time ago folks!
Then, for some more vintage fun go on over to the lovely Suzanne's blog at Colorado Lady and see all the other fascinating offerings for Vintage Thingies Thursday.

My paternal grandparents traveled to England about every three years to visit family. They had immigrated to Australia when my Dad was a young man and returned to the UK regularly as long as my Grandma's parents were living.
They went by ship, P and O and Orient was the prestige shipping line at the time, and the journey took them through the Suez Canal, I think it took several weeks. We always received special gifts upon their return and this beautiful box was my gift I think around 1950.

It's about twelve inches long and half that tall and has traveled around the world with me and held various treasures. Would you believe that now, among other things, it holds a collection of my four sons' baby teeth! Weird, eh?

This is the top, it looks rather oriental in design..........

and here is the front.

Each of the other sides has a simple carving of a ship, again rather Asian in nature.
I don't know where my grandparents purchased this box, perhaps it was Aden or Bombay, two ports their ship stopped at on the journey. I know that I have a photograph taken with my grandparents before they left on one of these trips but I ran out of steam looking for it tonight!
The box has sentimental value only I think, probably little monetary worth but isn't that the way with most of our vintage collections?

No sewing today-by the time I got my mammogram-ladies please make sure you get yours- and took my car by Atwood European and walked the Button dog, the day was pretty much done. I plan on making it up tomorrow by spending all day at the sewing machine!


18 comments:

marian said...

that's a very sweet little treasure chest, Ros..you sound a little under the weather, i hope all's well with you :)

Ulla said...

Your box is special, and holds so many memories! - I would have loved that kind of travelling.

Unknown said...

You're so right about value - I think it's lovely. And not all value is monetary.

Happy VTT!

Maria said...

That wooden box sure is beautiful, just love wood handcraft.

Keetha Broyles said...

This is very lovely!

My mom had a simple little wooden box with a latch, hers was also just about this size. (I think by what I can tell of your picture.) She always called it her "treasure box."

When she died, she had asked to be cremated. Dad chose to use that treasure box to hold her ashes. I thought that was very special.

Postcardy said...

I love wooden boxes and folk art, so I love your box.

Ruby said...

What a nice treasure and family memory. I think I might like sailing on a BIG ship but then even some of those sank. :( I'm being silly! Great post Ros. Faithful family to visit back and forth and bring gifts. Prayers for good results on the tests. I get mine every year.

Jingle said...

This is such a neat piece!

LV said...

What a beautiful box. You have a real keeper there. I can see why it is so special to you. Really enjoyed hearing and seeing it.

Jocelyn said...

Wow what a beautiful box! And such a special memory gift from your grandparents. A real treasure.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Marie said...

That is a lovely box! Such pretty detail!

Vonlipi said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing

★Carol★ said...

That must have been such an exciting trip to make! Imagine what your grandparents saw back then, and how much it's probably all changed since then. What a long journey it must have been, but worth it to see family. I can understand why you treasure it!
Happy VTT!
Carol

CC said...

What a wonderful treasure the little box is and such lovely memories. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Maureen said...

A well traveled box with rich history. Great story.

Coloradolady said...

This box reminds me of the folk art boxes. It is really nice.....I've been thinking about that Resurrection quilt..I have got to email you for the details. I see it in my head....how I want it to look and colors, so I hope I can do it!! I am cutting fabrics now for a new quilt,so I want to get the top at least done before I start the other one...plus, I need to find a really good quilter who quilts in detail to quilt it!! Happy VTT!

Teresa said...

Your wooden box is very nice. It is great you have all those memories. Have fun sewing.

Miri said...

Wonderful wooden box-the carvings are just beautiful and I especially the "sketch" of the ship!

I have my kids baby teeth in a box too :) but not a lovely one like yours!