Saturday, January 2, 2010

NYE Mystery Quilt Top

These really pretty fabrics taught me a hard lesson-no matter how gorgeous I think it is I will not buy fabric if it is stiff. Maybe it's all the gold metallic on them - one is a batik but it is actually softer! There are still a lot of these African theme fabrics in my stash so I am now wondering how to use them, perhaps as backings, because it really makes my fingers sore from all the pinning.
As you can see I used those indipensible little fork pins again, without them I would have been undoing and re-sewing a lot of the seams that didn't match up well enough to satisfy me.
Incidentally, I found the fork pins at Joann today and on sale 50% off so I picked up an extra package. This made them much less expensive than at Connecting Threads even at CT's sale price, and then you have to add shipping though I only order the pins if I am already placing an order for something else.


Ta-da, here is the finished top ready for the longarm. After hanging it for photographing I noticed a mistake, but it's going to stay there! The elephants at least all go in the same direction, that was in my plan but I wouldn't have fussed if it didn't work out. As time goes on I find myself able to live with some things that are less than perfect, others I can't abide it depends on how much it offends my eyes!

9 comments:

Andee said...

It turned out great! Seems like this pattern looks really different depending on the fabrics...haven't seen two that look real super similar! Was fun sewing "with"you!

cottonreel said...

I love shiny farics but only use them in small pieces---------cottonreel

Marge Gordon said...

If there is a mistake, I can't find it. I love how yours turned out!
Marge

Dena said...

I really like your fabric choices for the Mystery quilt. They must have a tight weave for them to be so stiff. Great job!

Mary said...

I was skeptical when I saw the fabrics but WOW that is a NEAT quilt! I love your pattern choice and color placement!
BTW- I can't find your boo-boo either.

Miri said...

This quilt is simply gorgeous!

Sølvis blog said...

This one turned out just beautiful. Is there a pattern somewhere?

Tamera said...

It really turned out very nice!

swooze said...

Ros I absolutely love your NYE mystery. I am referring back to it quite often to help me select my fabrics. Your selections are wonderful!