Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finished For Friday -The "Carolina Christmas" Quilt Top

It's Friday and I have something to blog for FFF, this scrappy mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter. Lit and laundry is hosting FFF and she has a sweet stocking banner to show.
The hard work, the piecing, is done on this rather large [90x90"] top, now just the fun part the actual quilting!
I quite like the design now it is together but I struggled a lot with my attitude getting it there.
This is I think my seventh Bonnie mystery-I made two of one design- and by the time I was half way through the clues for this one I was wishing that I had not begun! It became tedious and repetitive in a way that I didn't experienced with previous mysteries, so I think it must just be me!
My reason for making it in the first place was to use up some Christmas fabrics that have been hanging around too long but I found that I really didn't have what I needed so I ended up buying - fortunately Christmas fabrics were 50% off. Now I still have those old fabrics plus some left from the new ones I bought and I'm wondering if I can piece the backing and use it up that way- I am not a fan of Christmas fabrics or any other holiday theme fabric for that matter.
I took a photograph from the back and it looks like stained glass, doesn't it?

I was in no mood to make the pieced border Bonnie had designed so I simply made a red stop border and used up a yard of green ornament fabric for the outer border. Now I will have to either bind with red or scrap the binding too.
It took me longer than I expected so that may have accounted for some of my frustration, and I confess that I am really pleased to have it done!
I will be quilting it with an all over design probably the freehand Baptist Fan that always looks so nice on these scrappy traditional style quilts.

14 comments:

Angie said...

Well, what a shame you suffered so much making this top... it's really lovely. Will it be quilted in time for Christmas? It must be very tempting to fold it and store it until you need it at the end of this year?

Pat said...

That is a very pretty quilt.....so even though it drove you a bit crazy while making it, the end-result seems worth it!

concretenprimroses said...

Its gorgeous. I'm amazed at the detail and accuracy of your sewing. Its no wonder you got tired of doing it, but the result is amazing.
Kathy

Ruby said...

You are an amazing woman! Gorgeous guilt. I LOVE Christmas fabrics! LOL I wish I had some of your determination. It would have become a UFO at my house. It breaks my heart to say that. Truth will out! :)

vickie in nh said...

I understand how you feel about this mystery, I too found it to be tedious and very LONG on all the little piecing. Thank heavens for aduio books!!! I'm on Step 5 and definitely looking forward to having it done!

Threeundertwo said...

That is an incredible number of triangles. I confess I would have given up on it long ago. But look how gorgeous the end result is! Really stunning. You deserve a huge pat on the back for finishing it.

I want to learn more about freehand Baptist fans. Can you point me to a tutorial or show me an example somewhere? I'm intrigued.

Thanks so much for joining in on Finished for Friday! This is a huge finish.

Lis Harwood said...

Had to laugh when I read about your quilt - the hard part and the fun part - as I am the opposite, the fun is in piecing quilts, the stressful part is often the quilting. Just as well we're all different isn't it?

Andee said...

Looks great! I am working on that pieced border, the finish line in sight! Thanks for some motivation!

Lisa said...

This is great! I love making scrappy quilts, but I can understand why you are glad to be done with this one. I have never attempted anything this involved! Kudos!

Miri said...

This top is really lovely and I love the shot from the back! I think the border is perfect...it really draws the eye into all the stars.

I pieced a back to use up fabrics and really liked the way it came out...sort of like a reversible quilt.

farmlady said...

It's just beautiful!! I love the photo with the light behind it. It really does look like stained glass.
You do such lovely work...

Gari in AL said...

You're a better man than I. I have started two Bonnie Hunter quilts and both are langushing in boxes, incomplete. Way too many little pieces. Oh, I will complete them, someday but I fear they will be table toppers rather than full quilts. ;-)

Bea said...

You have to be pleased that you hung with this project. Triangles are buggers, but the end product is well worth the trouble. Beautiful.

I would use all that Christmas fabric scraps in making hot pads for friends and family for gifts next year. And I see from your next post you do pot holders well. =) Look at the hot pad patterns at Cotton Way for further inspiration.

Kim said...

This quilt was a test of character for sure.....I'm proud to say I push myself and finished right down to the pieced border......
however I am sending it out to be quilted :0).

Hey good for us for seeing it through!

Happy sewing