Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Citizenship Birthday



Four years ago today I became a naturalized American citizen. Over the years friends told me "Ros, you need to become a citizen you are more patriotic than many Americans!"
For so long I had delayed this event because my parents were elderly in Australia and I wanted to be able to leave the country in a heartbeat without worrying about a visa. However September 11th. 2001 changed all that and I became very angry at the horrifying attack on America and decided that by taking citizenship I would make my statement of loyalty to my adopted country.
The path to citizenship was not smooth for me because my application was lost for years! You all know the insanity of dealing with government bureaucracy, so you will understand the countless letters and phone calls it took to sort it all out. When at last I had a date set for my interview I received another letter informing me that it had to be delayed but giving no future date?! Another year or so went by with more countless frustrating letters and phone calls until finally I had my interview.
Having studied American history and government with our four sons as they progressed through the school system, I felt fairly confident in taking the test but nevertheless I boned up on it so that I would not miss a single question! There was a total of one hundred possible questions covering basic history and government and I didn't want to miss even one! Call me OCD!

A few months later I received the official letter giving me the date of my "swearing in", scheduled for one day after Australia Day and two days before my actual birthday so we had cause for big celebrations that week.


Here I am in the red jacket taking the oath of allegiance.

Some friends and family after the ceremony.


And here's the proof, the certificate [with the very unflattering govt. photo]. I have covered actual cert. numbers etc. for security reasons!

My friend Vicki made me this little scrapbook to mark the auspicious occasion!

10 comments:

Gramma 2 Many said...

Congratulations!! I remember going through this with my friend Msoshi. He was sworn in on my birthday, two years ago. My son in law Sebastian has finally begun the process too. I hope he does not run into as many roadblocks as you did.

Lindah said...

Australia's loss is our gain!

CC said...

What a wonderful day for America when we gained you for one of our very own. Welcome my friend..welcome.

★Carol★ said...

Yep, that's our government all right! So glad that we can call you "ours" now!

Ruby said...

Happy Citizen Day!! and Early Happy Birthday!! I'd like to second CC's comment and agree hardly with Lindah's!!! :)

farmlady said...

Ros, good for you. I suspect that most of us couldn't pass that test. I'm so glad that you came to America and decided to stay.

Maureen said...

Congrats!

Since I too immigrated to the US I know how difficult the process is. We became permanent residents a little over a year ago (after almost 10 years of living here) and I don't quite have it in me to subject myself to the next step. It was very tough and I haven't quite recovered yet. Who knew....

Gari in AL said...

And we are proud to have you as one of us.

Jocelyn said...

Oh what a wonderful day that must have been! It makes me so happy to hear that you are celebrating your anniversary of citizenship. You probably know more American History and most Americans. I'm proud of you :-D

GardenOfDaisies said...

Congratulations on your 4 year citizenship anniversay! I know a little bit about how you feel.... my future sister in law is from Spain and she became a citizen a couple of years ago. She said she studied hard for the test too. My best friend is from Canada and she is thinking of finally becoming and American citizen, after living and having a family here for26 years. They can't take the Australian out of you, it will always be part of who you are. But since you have chosen to live here, I'm glad you have become a citizen.