Sunday, January 17, 2010

Back At The Long Arm-Carolina Christmas Quilted


Yesterday I felt well enough to stand and quilt- after a total of seven hours I was halfway done with the Carolina Christmas Mystery. Tonight it is done, and here are some pics. The binding will probably be red.

It's hard to see the quilting as busy as the quilt is so there are a couple of close-ups, this one of the front......

this from the back.
It's quilted with Dogwood flowers and leaves, that's the N. Carolina state flower and I couldn't think of anything else that would look nice. It's a bit of a challenge to freehand a busy quilt because the thread disappears and you can't see where you have quilted - I suspect that is why this sort of quilt usually gets a pantograph but you all know how I feel about pantos, LOL!


The back is randomly pieced 10" squares of leftover Christmas fabrics with a few others tossed in to make it big enough. I think it's a warm and rather primitive looking quilt back. I like to make quilts reversible, so that the back is as interesting as the front. You can actually see the quilting better on the back of this quilt, that often happens.





12 comments:

Andee said...

I LOVE it! Those dogwood flowers look great. I love your CC too! I am so excited to give you mine to quilt up for my daughter! Whoo hoo!

deborah said...

Beautiful front and back, love your quilting! I also made this quilt, but haven't quilted it yet. It was a fun quilt to sew, wasn't it?

Kucki68 said...

I love how your Carolina Christmas turned out, wonderful!

Lis Harwood said...

I love that quilting.

Hooked on Quilting said...

Gosh, your quilt is so beautiful, really makes me want to get finished (on Step 2!!!!- got a long way to go!). Great job and I can't wait to get back into finishing mine! Thank you for the inspiration.

Coloradolady said...

This is beautiful, and the quilting is amazing. I like that it is just as pretty on the back as the front.

Gramma 2 Many said...

As usual, beautiful.

Gari in AL said...

The quilt, and quilting, is great. I just don't know how you can stand and quilt for 7 hours. 2 is about the most I can do at any one time. No wonder it takes me so long to get a quilt done. ;-)

Miri said...

This quilt really came out wonderfully! I love the movement on the front-it really seem to shimmer and the quilting is absolutely fantastic!

Jody said...

Beautiful!! I must get mine started--the fabrics are pulled from stash the pattern is copied and ruler purchased--now to start! Love the quilting--I was gonna ask the name of the panto---you are awesome!!

Threeundertwo said...

This quilt is just beautiful! I love allover quilting patterns like that.

And you're giving me an idea for the back of one of my quilts.

Kim said...

Glad you are feeling better Ros,
Lovely job on the quilting.......
Its such a nice pattern.......mine is in the queue for quilting by my longarmer :0)

Happy Sewing