Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Australia Day



After all the years lived outside the land of my birth I never forget the major holidays there, the most notable being Australia Day, the Aussie version of our American Fourth of July!

Celebrated with the typical Aussie "barbie"[barbecue],
at the beach,
sailing, or one of the other many outdoor activities beloved in this "lucky land".


No celebration of Australia would ever be complete without a stirring rendition of the quintessential Aussie song "Waltzing Matilda" here narrated and sung by Aussie icon Rolf Harris.

This song identifies Australia even more than the official National Anthem "Advance Australia Fair" performed here by Julie Anthony and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

"I Still Call Australia Home" is played on Qantas each time a flight leaves or returns to Australia.

And last but not least, the very Aussie 'Men At Work' and their "Land DownUnder". The lyrics are wonderful!

I wanted to load the videos on my blog but Blogger is not cooperating and keeps giving me the same annoying error message, but click on any of the above songs and it will take you direct to Youtube. I spent waaay too much time trying in vain to "fix" this problem and now I give up or it will be 27th. before I post!

For your Australia Day entertainment!

Australia's National Flower, the Wattle, or Acacia of which Australia has more than 50o varieties from shrubs to large trees.

Aussie road sign.

Aussie paper currency.
And our very Aussie dog, Australian Terrier Button. Think I should offer her a Vegemite sandwich for tea? Nah she would rather have the lamb bones left from our dinner!
For more Aussie piccies go to Australia photo - Bing Images

7 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Happy Australia Day to you! ... once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong... Yes, I hope you have pavlova or lambington (sp?) or at least an anzac biscuit with a cup of tea! :-)
(I have a good friend from the Melbourne area and she tells me all sorts of stuff.)

Khris said...

You can take the girl out of Aussie but you cant take the Aussie out of the girl....Happy Australia Day.....Hugs Khris

Cheryl Willis said...

what a cute pup, happy days to everyone!

SewCalGal said...

Happy Australia Day and thanks for sharing insights on what it is like to celebrate Australia Day in Australia. I'd truly love to learn more. Great post. And I really hope you had a wonderful Australia Day!

I love Australia!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Gramma 2 Many said...

Fun post. I have dreamed of visiting Australia some day, but don't think I will ever make it. I will just have to see the country through your eyes and narration.

vickie in nh said...

Thank you for sharing Australia Day with us :-) I've sung part of the Waltzing Matilda song for years and never made the connection - now I will never forget :-)

Mary said...

Cute puppy! Thanks for sharing about Australia Day! You learn something new every day!