Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Kaleidoscope UFO


Yippee, this is an oldie! Maybe 20 yrs. have passed since I pieced this quilt top. I had made one of these designs that had too little contrast in the fabrics & it turned out, to my disappointment, very "muddy" looking. I promptly donated it to the GF of one of my sons.
In my tendency for over-reaction I went the other direction & constructed this one with high contrast. A couple of decades later I have no idea what I was thinking then but suffice to say that these would not be my current fabric choices. It does have contrast, that I will admit & I still have in my stash enough of the border fabric for binding-I guess that tells you that my preferences in fabric/color/design have changed in a couple of decades & this quilt no longer fits with my current lifestyle!
This said, I will be pleased to have one more older fabric out of my collection, not to mention another quilt off my UFO list!

I quilted feathers on it because that seemed the most fitting.
Now what on earth am I to do with this kaleidoscope quilt?

4 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I don't know what you are going to do with it, but it is beautifully done. Really. I can not believe you did not quilt it right up the minute you finished the top...see, that is how I thought it was done, finish the top then quilt...not move on to another top....you may have given me a bad idea here!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Wish I would make time for this beautiful art form. Have pieced three quilts. Two were finished and one is still in my hopeless chest. I have another one started. I also have one my mother gave me that was pieced by my great grandmother. I am sad about it because my mother had it machine quilted and I would have rather honored its early beginnings by hand quilting it. I know her intentions were to give me a wonderful heirloom and I do treasure it as such. I do still need to bind the edges of it to finish it. Someday.

Reddirt Woman said...

I would imagine that any wounded vet would appreciate having the quilt. The design looks kind of like helicopter blades turning and you finished it beautifully and what better gift?

Helen

Kucki68 said...

Might be able to use it for quilts for valor, the colors should work.