Thursday, October 16, 2008

Guild retreat


I made a major gaffe when I forgot to take essential supplies to the retreat, namely the Easy Angle ruler [which makes HST's, Half Square Triangles, really fast & easy] for my Old Tobacco Road quilt & some freezer paper for the paper pieced BOM "Singing His Praises" which is definitely an Un-Finished Object[UFO]! Fortunately for me Gale had tossed in a whimsical appliqued wall hanging pattern that occupied my time for the rest of the two days we were there. The wording on it said something lame like "proud to be a quilter" but you can see I made up my own legend which I think is way less lame! I'm thinking I will quilt the background with a McTavishing sort of fill, not sure about the border yet. I wish that applique were not so fiddly & time consuming because the results are very effective. Most of the fabrics I used were cast offs that no one else wanted so it was a very "green" project.
My OTR[Old Tobacco Road] is ready for construction now that I have all of the 388 HST's sewn into 96 pinwheels, along with about 184 Four patches & 108 "bricks" etc, & it is partially laid out on the floor downstairs so I hope that Button doesn't decide to make a bed on it before I can get that much sewn together! OTR is as you can see up close, a scrap quilt with everything but the kitchen sink in the four patches & HST's, no matter, because it all sort of blends in when pulled together with the preponderance of autumnal colored fabrics. However to my dismay I didn't bust nearly as much stash as I had hoped so there is still at least one or two-or maybe more autumn themed quilts on my list of WHIMM's[Works Hidden In My Mind] which list is, I confess, endless! I still have to make a heap of flying geese for the border, I won't have an idea just how many until the main body of the quilt is pieced & I can measure the outside edges.

No comments: